Diva Chix Forums  

Go Back   Diva Chix Forums > Blogs > Sneaky Peaks at New Witchy Woman Releases
Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Experience

Rate this Entry

Random Ramblings

Submit "Random Ramblings" to Digg Submit "Random Ramblings" to del.icio.us Submit "Random Ramblings" to StumbleUpon Submit "Random Ramblings" to Google
Posted 06-10-2016 at 05:41 AM by hippie_chick

I took my dad this week to get his first smart phone- it was quite the experience!

Now you have to understand that my father is a brilliant man- he worked in the NASA Space program as a physicist. (We even gave him a tee shirt that says- I really am a rocket scientist). He is also a world renound panoramic photographer, but he is usually in his own world- and has always disliked the telephone. In fact, he travels quite frequently- both my parents do- and the trips are often 4-6 weeks in length. Well, as you can image- getting in touch with him, especially when he travels is almost impossible.

Several years back I purchased both my parents cell phones because that was the only way I could guarantee that I could contact them in the event of an emergency. It has worked out fairly well, but I still cannot convince them to keep their phones turned on!

You can imagine my surprise when my dad said he wanted a smart phone! Now the man is quite computer savvy, so that was never the issue- but I knew there had to be a catch somewhere- especially because in addition to being brilliant- he also squeaks when he walks- I mean he is SUPER tight with money. You have no idea how tight- but that's another story, lol.

Anyway, he is super tight with money EXCEPT when it comes to his photography. A new camera- price is no object! So I should have known that getting the smart phone was related somehow! Of course, he did not share this piece of information initially.

The Apple store was quite the adventure- not only is my dad brilliant and in his own world, but he is now hard of hearing and usually doesn't wear his hearing aides (I think on purpose so no one bothers him- but again another story, lol). So we get to the store and a kid with a head full of dreads named Woody waits on us. Thank goodness he had patience! I mean the man has never sent a text and to watch him with his large fingers trying to put a password in got to be quite comical, but I have to hand it to him- he never gave up! But thank goodness for fingerprint access- it will be much quicker for him!

You really had to be there to watch the whole comical procedure, but it was so worth it to bring him into the current century as far as phones go! I was thinking- FINALLY- one of my parents will always have their phone turned on- but I should have known- as soon as the sale was done he turned the phone off and stored it away in the box. I said, "Pop- aren't you going to leave it on?" He says,"Why would I do that? I only got this so I can use my new camera." (He actually got a Theta Camera that takes spheical pictures - so he needed an Apple Iphone to work the camera.) So, I should have known all along that he only was spending so much money because of photography and NOT for communication purposes... still chuckling!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1992 Comments 4 Edit Tags
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    How funny He sounds like a really amazing guy!

We recently got my 90 year old great grandma a smartphone too. Now we always get pictures of the flowers in her garden
  2. Old Comment
    OMG your dad seems AWESOME!!! I laughed so much with this entry!!!
  3. Old Comment
    My parent's actually had smart phones BEFORE my brother and I did AND we still have to help them from time to time figure something out with an app or something. Even my grandpa has a smart phone! lol
  4. Old Comment
    LOL,Your story is hilarious! What is it with our parents these days?! I guess the older they get,they become,way more set in their ways! LOL,Great story,,you had my heart smiling!
    Thanks for sharing!